Wrexham Council homepage


Life Events: Planning To Get Married

Legal Issues

Unless you are marrying in the Church of England or Church in Wales by Banns or Common Licence, notice of marriage has to be given by each of you personally to your local Superintendent Registrar(s).

Both of you must have lived in a registration district in England or Wales for at least seven days immediately prior to giving notice at the Register Office. If you both live in the same district, you will each give notice at the same office. If you live in different registration districts, you will each give notice separately in your own area.

A notice of marriage is valid for twelve months. You may therefore not give notice of marriage to the Superintendent Registrar more than twelve months before the date of your wedding.

A notice of marriage is valid only for the venue name on the notice. Whereas it may be possible to alter the date of your marriage (provided it is before the expiry date), a change of location would require a fresh notice and fee.

After giving notice you must wait a further twenty eight clear days before the marriage can take place.

Both authorities must have been issued on or before the day of marriage.

For further information on getting married in England and Wales link to the General Register Office

Marriage Certificates

The marriage will be authorised by the Superintendent Registrars Certificate.

Documents Required by Law

When you attend before a Superintendent Registrar to make formal arrangements, you will need to produce certain documents to confirm your name, age, marital status and nationality.

Preferred original (photo-copies are not acceptable) documents are:


also (if applicable)



A marriage at the Register Office (Tuesday and Wednesday only) will be £46.00 payable on the day plus £11.00 for each certificate purchased on the day.

With effect from 1 April 2020, the fee* for a wedding in the Ceremony Room Guildhall will be:

and at an Approved Premises will be:

*payable no less than 2 weeks before the wedding, plus £11.00 for each certificate purchased on the day.

A marriage at a Place of Religious Worship will incur a fee to the Minister of the Building (variable). The cost of a wedding in a church or chapel at which a Registrar attends is £86.00 payable about a week before the wedding plus £11.00 for each certificate purchased on the day.

A marriage at a Church of England or Church in Wales does not generally involve the Register Office; enquiries regarding fees must be directed to the Minister of the Church.

All fees are subject to review.

Please telephone the Superintendent Registrar to make an Appointment to give a Notice of Marriage. Tel: (01978) 298997.

Changing Your Name and/or Address

You must remember to change your name and/or address when you get married. Our checklist may assist you.

Useful Links

Wrexham County Borough Council is not responsible for the content of external websites