Wrexham Council homepage


Tenants Home Contents Insurance

Wrexham County Borough Council does not insure your furniture, belongings or decorations against such events as theft, fire, vandalism and burst pipes.

You need to take out your own insurance, and the Council offers a special scheme through an insurance company that makes it easy for you to protect your belongings.

The scheme is with Royal Sun Alliance. It is possible to include Accidental Cover on all your possessions on payment of a small extra premium.

Wrexham County Borough Council urges all tenants to take out household insurance, either through our own special scheme or by making your own arrangements.

How much does it cost?

The premium depends on the value of your contents. There are special lower sums insured, if required, for tenants aged over 60. Premiums are shown in the table below:

Sum Insured Weekly Cost
Standard Cover
Weekly Cost
Accidental Damage Cover
over 60's only
£1.41 £1.87
over 60's only
£1.55 £2.06
£12,000 £1.69 £2.25
£13,000 £1.83 £2.43
£14,000 £1.97 £2.62
£15,000 £2.11 £2.81
£16,000 £2.26 £3.00
£17,000 £2.40 £3.18
£18,000 £2.54 £3.37
£19,000 £2.68 £3.56
£20,000 £2.82 £3.76
£21,000 £2.96 £3.93
£22,000 £3.10 £4.12
£23,000 £3.24 £4.31
£24,000 £3.38 £4.49
£25,000 £3.52 £4.68
£26,000 £3.67 £4.87
£27,000 £3.81 £5.05
£28,000 £3.95 £5.24
£29,000 £4.09 £5.43
£30,000 £4.23 £5.64
£31,000 £4.37 £5.80
£32,000 £4.51 £5.99
£33,000 £4.65 £6.18
£34,000 £4.79 £6.36
£35,000 £4.93 £6.55
£36,000 £5.08 £6.74
£37,000 £5.22 £6.93
£38,000 £5.36 £7.11
£39,000 £5.50 £7.30
£40,000 £5.64 £7.49

How do I Pay?

The cost of the insurance is added to your rent account and usually paid weekly by payment card at the Councils Estate offices, Post Offices or Pay Point outlets. Other methods are:

  • Monthly or weekly by direct debit – contact 01978 29899
  • By standing order – contact 01978 298993
  • Telephone payments – contact 0300 333 6500
  • Internet payments

To make sure you are always covered you must keep up with your payments. You will not be able to make a claim unless your payments are up to date.

How much should I insure for?

You need to know how much your belongings are worth in total. Most people find that when they add everything up their things are worth more than they thought, so be careful not to underestimate, or you may not receive full settlement if you make a claim. Remember to include everything – the table below can help with this:

Do-It-Yourself Valuation of Your Household Contents

Most people find that their household contents are worth more than they think. Please use this table to help value the contents of your property but please read the section on 'New for Old' insurance.

Add up the two columns and round the total up to the nearest £1,000 then enter the figure on the proposal form.

Room / Items Total Value Room / Items Total Value
Items in living room 1
e.g. TV, Radio, Video, Hi-Fi, Satellite, Computer, Suite, Carpet, Tables, Other Furniture, CD's, Videos, Light Fittings, Books, Ornaments, Curtains etc
  Items in bedroom 1
e.g. Bed, Bedroom Furniture, Carpet, Curtains, Light Fittings, Clock, Bedding, Jewellery, Ornaments, Games, Toys, Towels, Computer etc
Items in living room 2
e.g. Dining Table, Chairs, Sideboard, Other Furniture, Carpet, Curtains, Light Fittings, Ornaments etc
  Items in bedroom 2
e.g. Bed, Bedroom Furniture, Carpet, Curtains, Light Fittings, Clock, Bedding, Jewellery, Ornaments, Games, Toys, Towels, Computer etc
Items in kitchen
e.g. Washer, Cooker, Fridge, Freezer, Pots and Pans, Crockery, Table, Chairs, Floor Covering, Light Fittings, Ornaments, Microwave, Kettle, Toaster, Other Electrical Items etc
  Items in bedroom 3
e.g. Bed, Bedroom Furniture, Carpet, Curtains, Light Fittings, Clock, Bedding, Jewellery, Ornaments, Games, Toys, Towels, Computer etc
    Items in other room
e.g. Vacuum Cleaner, Tools, Lawnmower, Gardening Equipment etc
Total Value £ Total Value £

What’s the cover?

Cover is provided for a wide list of events including Fire, Storm, Flood, Theft, escape of water, and much more. Full details are included in the policy booklet.

Although a small amount of ACCIDENTAL damage cover (TVs, Mirrors, glass) is included in the standard cover, full accidental damage cover can be included on request, and payment of an additional premium.

The following summary gives details of some of the additional features of the policy. Full terms and conditions can be found in the policy booklet.

Tenants Contents Policy Summary

This is a summary of the policy and does not contain the full terms and conditions of the cover, which can be found in the policy booklet. It is important that you read the policy booklet carefully when you receive it.

Who is the Insurer?

The Insurer of this policy is Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance PLC 93792 Registered in England and Wales at St. Mark's Court, Chart Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XL.

What is the Tenants Contents Insurance Policy?

The Tenants Contents Policy provides Contents only insurance cover. Contents Section – see policy booklet for details.

What are the benefits and features of the Tenants Contents Insurance policy?

Cover is provided for a list of perils such as fire, storm, flood, theft, etc – see policy booklet.

Your policy also includes significant features and benefits, which are explained in detail in your Policy Booklet:

In addition cover is provided for:

  • accidental damage to television sets, satellite decoders, video recorders, audio equipment and home computer (not including laptops or games consoles)
  • accidental breakage of mirrors, glass tops on furniture, fixed glass in furniture, pictures and kitchen appliances including glass or ceramic hobs
  • contents temporarily removed from the home
  • contents in outbuildings garages on the same site (up to total £2000)
  • replacement locks if keys are lost or stolen (up to £500)
  • spoilage of food in freezers and refrigerators (unlimited subject to policy conditions)
  • loss of domestic fuel and metered water (up to £1000)
  • rent and alternative accommodation following an insured loss (up to 20% of sum insured)
  • tenants improvements (up to 25% of sum insured)
  • tenants liability including internal decorations (up to 20% of sum insured)
  • personal liability (up to £2,500,000)
  • fatal accident cover (up to £5000)
  • accidental loss or damage to contents whilst being moved by a professional removal company
  • visitors contents cover (up to £250)
  • limit for personal money £500
  • limit for credit cards £500
  • Accidental damage cover to tvs computer equip etc 10% of sum insured
  • limit for audio/visual/computer – tapes, records and discs - £750
  • limit for precious metals, stones, jewellery or furs - 1/3rd of sum insured

Claims Settlement

Provided the loss or damage is covered under your policy, claims are settled as follows, subject to the maximum amount payable.

If an item can be economically repaired, Insurers will pay the cost of repair or arrange for repairs to be carried out. Otherwise they will replace it with a new item if they choose, or pay the replacement cost of a new item of similar quality, except for clothing and household linen, when an amount for wear and tear may be taken off.

When you are applying for insurance, you need to work out the total cost of replacing all of your contents. If you under value, you will not receive the full settlement if you make a claim.

How do I apply?

To apply for insurance, you need to complete a proposal form, which are available below, or from your housing estate, Contact Wrexham, The Guildhall, or by telephoning 01978 298993.

When complete, return to:

Wrexham County Borough Council
Insurance Services
Lambpit Street
LL11 1AR or email insurance@wrexham.gov.uk

If you need help to complete the form, please ring 01978 298993.

Who is the Insurance Company?

The current Insurers for the scheme are Royal Sun Alliance Insurance Ltd through their special Tenants Contents Insurance Scheme. Their registered office is at St. Mark's Court, Chart Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XL.

Exclusions and limitations

What are the significant or unusual exclusions or limitations of the Tenants Contents Insurance policy?

You must comply with conditions of the policy explained in the General Conditions Section of the policy booklet for cover to apply. These include your duty to take reasonable precautions to prevent loss and actions you must take as soon as you are aware of a possible claim under the policy. See also the General Exclusions Section of the policy booklet for those exclusions that apply to all Sections.

  • Certain losses or damage if any endorsement/clause is shown on your policy schedule
  • No cover is provided for motor vehicles, caravans, trailers, boats, aircraft, gliders and any accessory which is designed to be used with any of these,any mechanically propelled vehicle other than lawnmowers, garden machinery and wheelchairs
  • No cover is provided for items used for business purposes or used in connection with any employment
  • Certain losses or damage when your home is unoccupied or unfurnished for more than 30 days in a row
  • Theft caused by persons lawfully in your home
  • Accident, injury, loss, damage or liability caused by the deliberate, malicious or wilful act of the persons covered by this policy
  • Where a carpet covers more than one room, the carpet in each room will be treated as completely separate. We will only pay for the replacement or repair of the carpet in the room where the damage occurred.
  • Where an item forms part of a set or suite, that will be regarded as completely separate. We will only pay for the replacement or repair of the item in the set or suite that has been damaged.
  • Theft of money, unless by somebody using force and violence to break into your house
  • Loss or damage caused by theft or attempted theft unless entry or exit is gained by breakage or damage to any part of the home
  • Loss or damage to interior decorations you are not legally responsible for.
  • Loss or damage to your contents from any cause not listed in the policy booklet.

See policy document for all other term, conditions and exclusions.

How long does my Tenants Contents Insurance policy run for?

Unlike other insurance policies, your policy, under the Wrexham County Borough Council scheme, does not have an annual renewal date.

Your policy will, therefore, continue at the terms shown on your latest schedule unless you are notified in writing by the administrator that the terms of your policy have been changed. In no circumstances will the policy lapse (although it may be invalidated if you fail to disclose any material facts or may be cancelled if you fail to pay the premium).You should review the level of benefit that you have chosen on a regular basis to make sure that it is sufficient to cover your needs.