Wrexham Council homepage


Concessionary Travel Scheme (Bus Pass)

You'll be able to apply for your new-style Concessionary Travel Cards, which replaces your current bus pass, from Wednesday 11 September 2019.

Apply (external link)

If you live in the Wrexham County Borough area and are:

you will be entitled to a pass, which will enable you to travel free on all local bus services.

Changes to Concessionary Travel Cards

From September 2019, concessionary travel cards are being replaced by new-style cards from Transport for Wales.

Old-style cards will still be valid for travel and offer the same benefits until 31 December 2019.

You will receive the new-style card if you apply for a new Concessionary Travel Card from September 2019.

You will need to change your old-style card to the new-style between September and 31 December 2019. To change your card, you will need to apply for a new Concessionary Travel Card.

Your free travel pass will be valid from the date of issue and will be valid all day, every day not only in Wrexham, but also for travel throughout Wales.

Where and when can I use my pass ?

Your pass will be valid for cross border journeys into England provided that your journey is unbroken and starts or finishes in Wales.

If you are unable to travel independently and need assistance to make use of public transport, an additional concession may be issued for a necessary travelling companion. You will normally need to supply independent medical evidence to support this.

Wrexham County Borough Council has partnered with the Welsh Assembly Government to introduce free travel on the Welsh section of route of the Borderlands line, between Wrexham Central, Wrexham General, Gwersyllt and all stations to Hawarden Bridge. Holders of Concessionary Travel (bus) passes in Wrexham and Flintshire can travel without charge on this section of route. Should anyone wish to travel north of Shotton they shall be required to pay the prevailing fare.

Will my pass cost me anything?

Your travel pass will be issued free of charge, however there is a charge for replacing any lost or damaged passes.

How do I use my pass?

Travel, using your pass, is subject to the rules and regulations of the operators providing the service. You will need to show your pass to the driver when you board the bus to receive your concession. It must be shown to an inspector if requested. Failure to show your pass will result in the concession being refused and the fare for the journey being charged. The pass does not give you any rights other than those enjoyed by any fare-paying passenger.

Your pass remains the property of Wrexham County Borough Council and may be withdrawn by the Council or the operator if misused.